THE HIGHLIGHTS: If you only remember 6 things after reading this… ?
1. Know your “WHY?”, your purpose, the unique “contribution and impact you want to make in the industry and to the world.”
2. Be Selective – Find the right kind of trade “buyers” for your business (tour operators, travel agents, travel designers, and online platforms) to market to.
3. Listen, Learn & Act – Just “winning” a client is only the beginning of the journey – it’s about ongoing relationships and continual improvement.
4. Make it easy to sell you – Your marketing and sales activities are a perfect opportunity to listen to your market and find out what problems they need you to fix and how you can both innovate and be continually improving
5. Build the relationship – Make it Win-Win
6. Data is Queen – To really improve your sales and marketing you need to ensure that you are collecting, analyzing and utilizing your sales and marketing in the best possible way – both quantitative and qualitative.
Also to remind you before we start of the Becky Harris world of terminology… for the B2B travel industry world, I use Marketing to mean finding new clients and Sales to mean developing more sales and profits from existing client contacts.
Just because you have “won” a client – a buyer has told you that they would like to start working with you – it is just the beginning of the journey. You now need to work with them to ensure that they have everything they need to make it as easy as possible to sell you. This means all the necessary information as well as the confidence and trust to sell you and send their valuable clients into your care.
The easier you can make it for a company to start selling you – the quicker you will get onto their website and into their promotional materials and the more confident their sales team will be to suggest your destination and product to their customers.
Listen to the client and be as flexible as possible. Each client has a unique situation and clientele and may need changes to make to certain aspects of the way you work. Be open to flexibility, change, and negotiation.
At SquirrelFish as part of our sales and marketing support, the kind of information that we typically help suppliers to create, compile and distribute professionally include:
– Copy and high resolution, professional images (Min 1MB) for their website and marketing materials
– Create specific example itineraries, products and travel themes for the specific client
– Detailed product information and FAQs to make it easier for sales teams to get up to speed
– Clear rate books and explanations of any taxes and commission structures
– Clear discussion on booking, payment and cancellation conditions
– Sales and product team training – in person or webinars – recorded if possible ready for new staff
– FAM trips
That is why we created SquirrelFish – to make it easier to store and share information, images, and video and to send large files. For webinars, you can use free software such as google hangout, skype, etc and save and share the recorded webinar back on Squirrelfish.
You can also use a graphic design company like our sister company www.round.co.uk to help you produce a more professional looking “digital brochure” which fits your brand image and can be easily and cheaply distributed online.
Some DMCs & lodges build this kind of information into a password protected “Client/Agent Area” in the back of their website and some even have this system link to their live system for online prices, availability and information. We can help you with this through our sister company www.round.co.uk although we do believe that using SquirrelFish is a much cheaper and more effective solution.
Read the next Article in this collection – 5. Build the relationship – Make it Win-Win
Contact us to find out how Squirrelfish, Travel Kinship and our sister company Round can help you grow your sales and develop your marketing, profitability, product development, and business reputation.
This article can also be found on Becky Harris’s LinkedIn profile HERE.
Could you just give us a few more details and we will be in touch